Reasons for choosing double hung windows
As you know, the new is the well-forgotten old. English lifting windows or double/single hung windows were invented back in 1670 and are now experiencing a rebirth. Why is this design good and is it suitable for our latitudes? In contrast to the ordinary systems, opening in such models occurs by displacement of the sash of the block. It is still popular in the USA and Great Britain and today double hung replacement windows continues to spread as a mainstream in Europe.
What are double hung windows?
Double hung windows are the type of windows, the design of which includes an external frame and two internal sashes.Windows with such paneling have a strict classical look, which corresponds to their nature. In order to open double hung vinyl windows, you need to move one of the doors in the vertical direction, and then fix it with special latches. As a rule, the lower part of the window is made movable, while the upper part does not open.
The movement is carried out by means of special grooves in the frame and the corresponding guides in the moving part. The guides can be made both in the form of rollers, and also work on the sliding principle. To facilitate opening, the blocks are equipped with special counterweights that compensate for part of the load when the sash is lifted.
How to install double hung windows: materials and design options
A lot of people are asked how to replace double hung windows. Not everybody knows that a lot depends on the material of your future window. For the manufacture of classic models, the most common material is wood. The most preferable in this regard is glued laminated timber of coniferous or hard species (pine, larch, oak). To make the material resistant to environmental influences, it is treated with special impregnations and opened with a protective varnish. Colored products are tinted with stains.
Modern designs are often made from a metal-plastic or aluminum profile. These products, as a rule, are more practical, allow the introduction of a variety of design solutions, in addition, the models from the profile are more suitable for the construction of warm systems. You may choose single or double hung replacement windows, depending on your interior and exterior.
Removing double hung windows: positive aspects
The best double hung windows have the following advantages:
- Like any sliding systems, hung models help significantly save free living space, which will make it possible to place flowers or decorative elements on the windowsill, avoiding the need to remove everything to open the sashes.
- The internal arrangement of the fittings excludes the possibility of opening from the outside and thus reliably protects the room from unauthorized entry from the outside. In addition, the design provides for the ability to enhance security by installing alarm sensors.
- The lifting system of double hung replacement windows allows you to ventilate rooms during any season, as the sliding doors are not afraid of drafts, unlike swing models.
- The gaps between the moving elements of the window are sealed with sealing rubber bands, and the fittings are protected with special gaskets, which minimizes the likelihood of drafts and blowing.
- Completing small sashes with folding fittings allows you to easily wash frames and glass from the street side, even on the upper floors.
- Finally, if you have been dreaming of an apartment with Provance notes, then double hung windows for sale are the best solution for you!
Hence, choosing this model for your house is a wonderful way to save space and add a piece of style. The cost of hung windows depends on the degree of thermal insulation, material of construction, sash binding and country of manufacture. In order to install the windows without any problems, turn to professionals. Good luck with your choice!